After a three-month hiatus, The Big Issue vendors are back! And it’s a celebration for many. As Wayne, who’s also from Adelaide, tells it: “Going back to Big Issue work will be like a birthday present for me, as my birthday is just a couple of days beforehand – I’ve already started celebrating!”
So please join us in welcoming back vendors. Many more now accept contactless payments – tap-and-go and Beem It. All have been equipped with Vendor COVID-19 Safety Training and resources to ensure their health and wellbeing – as well as yours – as we continue to comply with up-to-date government advice. If you can, stop by and have a chat, buy the magazine and catch up on the latest Big Issue news.
Also in this edition
- Oscar-winning director and activist Spike Lee speaks about his new film Da 5 Bloods, the power of history and the state of America today.Swimming superstar Lisa Curry talks gold medals, family and the three words that changed her life in her Letter to My Younger Self.
- The Baby-Sitter’s Club is back for a new generation, and we look at the cultural juggernaut that is author Ann M Martin’s 90s girl gang.
- Historian and best-selling author Rutger Bregman (Utopia for Realists) says he’s certain that we humans are not as bad as we fear we are – and he sets out to prove it in his new book Human Kind.
- In Big Picture, photographer Kiliii Yüyan meets the women and their husky dogs who sleigh – competing in the 1600km Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- Writer Anna Sublet visits her local Repair Cafe to breathe new light into an heirloom lamp – and discovers an international community of tinkerers who are rebuilding and repurposing household items…and reducing waste.
- In Tastes Like Home, Merelyn Frank Chalmers of the Monday Morning Cooking Club shares her mum’s recipe for Apple and Jam Cake.
Issue! Issue! Issue! Oi! Oi! Oi! As we cheer on our Olympians and Paralympians in Tokyo, here at The Big Issue we’re also celebrating our very own sporting champions: vendors and Street Soccer players who’ve donned the green and gold on the world stage.