With its iconic white sails and inviting steps, the Sydney Opera House is known around the world as a symbol not only for Sydney, but for Australia. To mark its 50th anniversary, we peek behind the curtains to discover what makes the Opera House so significant. And we do so with a stunning artwork by the legendary artist Reg Mombassa on the cover.
More highlights in our edition:
- Former AFL player and coach Danielle Laidley talks football, family and conquering demons in her Letter to My Younger Self.
- In The Big Picture, we revisit 60 years of thrills and spills at Australia’s greatest race: Bathurst 1000.
- We go behind-the-sounds on the new Hercule Poirot film A Haunting in Venice with its Oscar-winning composer Hildur Guðnadóttir.
- Author Nadine J. Cohen revisits her glory days as an almost-saxophonist, while writer Jax NiCarthaigh discovers her “piano hands”.
- Melbourne-based folk singer-songwriter Maple Glider talks religion, bodily autonomy and the courage-making power of a live audience.
- Author Roz Bellamy on their new memoir that explores queer love, fan culture and the healing power of rescue greyhounds.
- Sido, from Melbourne social enterprise cafe Meals With Impact, serves up her recipe for Poulet au Coco Rico, a popular Congolese dish her grandfather used to make.
- Plus, the Kids Cover Comp is back! We’re calling on junior artists aged 12 and under to help us design our cover this Christmas. Not only will their artwork shine bright front and centre of our national magazine, it will also help Big Issue vendors earn an income these holidays. Find out how to enter here!