And the winner of our inaugural Kids Cover Comp is… eight-year-old Oscar Hatch from Brisbane! His bright, festive design was chosen from scores we received from junior artists all around the country, all doing their bit to help vendors this Christmas. As Oscar says, “I think people should buy this issue because The Big Issue helps homeless people.” Plus, we feature more of our favourite entries in the mag.
Also in this edition:
- Socceroo legend Craig Foster writes about his love of football, the importance of community and standing up for those without a voice in his Letter to My Younger Self.
- We look at organisations around Australia who are marrying art and social justice to empower marginalised communities and elevate artists.
- Actor Zoe Saldaña on reprising her role as Neytiri for the new Avatar sequel – 13 years after the original broke box office records.
- Original 90s riot grrrl Kathleen Hanna on reviving Bikini Kill and bringing the band back to Australia to inspire a new generation.
- Richard Fidler reveals the COVID lockdowns were the impetus behind writing his new book about medieval travellers during the Golden Age of Islam.
- Laugh like a hyena at the annual Wildlife Comedy Photography Awards, which highlight animal hijinks and the need to protect the natural world.
- MasterChef fave Reece Hignell shares his recipe for Elva’s Blow-away Chocolate Sponge – a cake that’s light, delicate and delish!
- PLUS! The Big Issue Calendar 2023 is now on sale, featuring portraits of vendors around the country + some of Andrew Weldon’s funniest cartoons from the vault. Just $20 from your local vendor, who earns $12 for every Calendar sold.