“I think if you’ve grown up in Australia, you’ve got a story of belting out ‘You’re the Voice’,” says Poppy Stockell, director of new documentary film John Farnham: Finding the Voice. In this edition, we talk to Stockell and John Farnham’s longtime friend Jimmy Barnes about what makes Farnsy such an Australian icon.
More highlights in our edition:
- For National Volunteer Week, we talk to big-hearted vendors – like Mark from Sydney, David from Sydney and Kellee from Perth – who volunteer at railway museums, basketball courts and community BBQs when they’re not selling The Big Issue.
- Composer of The Little Mermaid, Alan Menken on the new live-action Disney film and what it’s like to win an Oscar.
- Singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi gets nervous ahead of his second album (and his upcoming Australian tour).
- Award-winning author and poet Ellen Van Neervan on her new book Personal Best, an essay collection about sport, politics and the Australian identity.
- In her Letter to My Younger Self, 2021 Australian Local Hero Rosemary Kariuki discusses fleeing Kenya as an asylum seeker and starting the African Women Dinner Dance to connect with refugee communities in Western Sydney.
- Author Nova Weetman reflects on her late mother’s cumquat jam, and how she’s keeping the family tradition alive.
- In The Big Picture, photographer Chris Linder visits a tiny fishing town in Iceland determined to save baby puffins.
- Plus, cookbook author Sumayya Usmani shares her recipe for potatoes with curry leaves and turmeric in Tastes Like Home.
Can’t find a vendor? No problem!
We’ve received a number of queries from John Farnham fans who want a copy of this issue but don’t have any vendors in their town. We’re pleased to announce you can buy it online via Shopify! Just click here. Happy reading!