15-27 October 2023 is Anti-Poverty Week, created to inform and support the Australian community to have an increased understanding of poverty and to take action collectively to end it. 1 in 8 Australians or 3.319 million live in poverty, and more than 122,000 Australians are experiencing homelessness.
For 27 years The Big Issue has created programs and enterprises to help bring people out of poverty and positively impact those facing homelessness, marginalisation and disadvantage. Alongside the fortnightly magazine sold by street vendors, The Big Issue has other programs that support people on the margins, including the Women’s Workforce, Community Street Soccer Program, The Big Issue Classroom and Homes for Homes.
Over Anti-Poverty Week we encourage to learn more about all of The Big Issue’s program and get involved where you can. To help get involved in the community you can:
- Visit your vendor and purchase a copy of The Big Issue magazine.
- Subscribe to The Big Issue and have magazines delivered to your office or home every fortnight. Subscriptions help the Women’s Workforce to earn an income from packing the magazine.
- Consider our Women’s Workforce for social procurement work.
- Donate to The Big Issue though our website, PayPal or workplace giving platforms.
- Spread the word to your networks in person or on social media.