“There will be some tough times ahead, but you’ll get through it because you’re made of rough material like ZZ Top,” writes Adelaide artist, music buff and Big Issue vendor Dan K – our cover star for this edition.
It’s our annual Vendor Week special, and Dan is just one in a chorus of vendor voices you’ll find on our pages this fortnight. From another heartfelt series of Letters to Our Younger Selves, to the lyrical observations Melbourne vendor Lionel writes in his diary, this edition celebrates and illuminates what it’s like to be a Big Issue vendor.
More highlights in this edition:
- Photographer Trevor Traynor gets the scoop on newsstands all over the world. Once thriving hubs stocking daily supplies, are they becoming yesterday’s news?
- From bananas and prawns to deck chairs and rolling pins (?!), we investigate this country’s love of all things Big.
- Speaking of big things, TV writer and big softie James Colley has written a rom-com novel about two small-town folks and one big attraction.
- Caelee Spaeny, the bright star of Sofia Coppola’s latest film Priscilla, talks love, power and the private life of Mrs Elvis Presley.
- And Big Issue vendor MBK shares his Bubcha and Dodds’ recipe for Ukrainian potato and cheese vareniki, best served lightly fried with lashings of thick cream. Yum!
PLUS, if you’re in Melbourne visit our special pop-up on Southern Cross Lane from 10:00am-2:00pm on 6th, 7th, 13th and 15th February.